“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other.”

(Marjorie Pay Hinckley)


Long overdue honest social media.

"...I knew something was wrong..."

"Call it a mother's intuition, but from the first few weeks of finding out I was pregnant I knew something was wrong.

"My fears were confirmed when the ultrasound technician told me our little baby would have a cleft lip, and perhaps palate.

"Naturally I had an image in my head of what our baby would look like, and in a way I've needed to lay that to rest; say goodbye to the baby I thought we would have.

"Now, make no mistake, I felt beyond blessed that our little boy was not facing any health risks. It really put into perspective what many parents go through in the last months of pregnancy knowing that their little baby would arrive with a chromosomal disorder, or a life threatening condition. My heart aches for those families, only having felt a fraction of what they go through.

"I was relieved the ultrasounds revealed no health risks whatsoever, but to be kind and fair to myself, and recognize this is important, and it does matter to my family and me, I allowed myself to grieve.

"I can also acknowledge that a cleft lip and palate are more than just a cosmetic issue. It means handing over my little boy to a surgeon time and time again in his childhood to be put under anesthesia and operated on. It means a lot of pain and hardship for his little body, and potentially challenges in speech and hearing. We are allowed to grieve for a time, as this IS a challenge, and something a parent never wants to put their child through.

"Now that our sweet baby is here, with a wider than usual cleft lip and palate, we've had our time of sadness and grief, and now it's time for action. We have a job ahead of us. We've been chosen as this sweetheart's parents to guide him through these challenges in his life, and to love and comfort him in times of pain and discomfort. We are to empower him, and teach him he is more than just a cleft and not to become a victim of it. We're feeling ready for this. Bring it."