“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other.”

(Marjorie Pay Hinckley)


Long overdue honest social media.

"I’m a big tent Mormon..."

“I’m a big tent Mormon--I really like discussing all the different ideas and theories out there. The fact is  we are not given an adequate explanation for every event in the scriptures. It leaves our minds open to think through these things and decide for ourselves. You may be wondering what I’m talking about because you, like me a few years ago, may not know that there are about a million websites for people who are Mormon, yet don’t agree with every single tenant the church teaches.  When I teach, I want the class to be a welcome area to discuss and give different points of view without fear that someone will go home and say, ‘Guess what Sister so-and-so said in Relief Society today!’ but rather, “Sister so-and-so mentioned this point which I had never considered before.’  

“I believe the Bible to be true, but I doubt that there was a world wide flood.  I believe that God and Christ created the earth and put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, but I doubt that the earth is only 6000 years old. These are the kinds of things that I just don’t understand with my mortal mind, so I shelve those thoughts and ponder on them. I have lots of thoughts and different ideas that don’t make me an unbeliever, but rather someone who invites discussion into my life. Doubt is not sin—it is the invitation to our minds to learn more.   


“Terryl Givens said: ‘The call to faith is a summons to engage the heart, to attune it to resonate in sympathy with principles and values and ideals that we devoutly hope are true and which we have reasonable but not certain grounds for believing to be true. An overwhelming preponderance of evidence on either side would make our choice as meaningless as would a loaded gun pointed at our heads. Many of us will live out our lives in doubt, like the unnamed father in the Gospel of Mark. Coming to Jesus, distraught over the pain of his afflicted son, he said simply, ‘I believe, help thou mine unbelief.’  Though he walked through mists of doubt, caught between belief and unbelief, he made a choice, and the consequence was the healing of his child.’”