“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other.”

(Marjorie Pay Hinckley)


Long overdue honest social media.

"Maybe this post is too sensitive of a topic..."

"Maybe this post is too sensitive of a topic for the times that we are in, but it is something that has been a part of my life for 18 years. I need to give a little back story before I can explain my struggle.

"I have a father and brother who are both gay. My father was born and raised in the LDS church, served a mission, and married my mother in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. After 35 years of marriage (and knowing he was gay his whole life) he and my mom divorced. It was hard even though I was in my 20s when the divorce was final. Having your parents divorce is never fun, but watching your father struggle with who he is and where he fits in in life is not either.

"My little brother has been my very best friend throughout my life.  He came out (of 'the closet') when he was in his teen years. He is no longer a member of the church, and in fact is strongly against organized religion in general. He works hard at trying to get me, his best friend, to pull away from the church. Which then leads to my struggle.

"In the news and media we are seeing so much about equal rights for gay marriage. We also see many stories and we know where the LDS church stands on the issue. There are many members of the church who are gay and who struggle with where they fit in all of this, trying to find a balance and peace in their lives. My heart goes out to these people. I have watched my own father struggle with his testimony of Jesus Christ and with who he is for 18 years of my 31 years-although his struggle has been much longer than that.

"It is extremely hard to know and believe what I do, but also to have the love and respect that I do for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ) community.

"My faith, beliefs, and testimony of Jesus Christ and his gospel are as strong now as they have ever been. There is no wedge between my Heavenly Father and me. I have lived part of my life without the gospel in it and I know that it is something that I want and need in my life. I have an unwavering testimony of Jesus Christ and his Atonement; and the gospel brings joy to my life on a daily basis.

"That being said, yes, I do have a unique/different perspective on certain things. One being gay marriage and the rights of gays. I stand as a supporter and ally to the many members of the LGBTQ community because of my dad and my brother. It is hard to be a member of the church with the views that I have, and what I feel is right in my heart. I struggle that we do not, and in many ways cannot, discuss this topic more openly. I sincerely believe that there are many other members of the church who have this same struggle-being in the middle can be emotionally exhausting, but it is a fight I will keep fighting.

"I want to live as Jesus Christ taught, loving one another unconditionally. I will continue to be a support to those I love.  

"I am a active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I am an ally for the LGBTQ community."