“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other.”

(Marjorie Pay Hinckley)


Long overdue honest social media.

"Being the bishop's wife . . ."

"Being the bishop’s wife can be a LOVELY experience and I am more than happy to share my husband with our ward family. However, being the bishop’s wife can be a very LONELY experience as well. Bishop knows everything. Bishop’s wife knows nothing. Ward members may hesitate to talk with me, thinking I know the intimate details of their lives, but they need to understand I know absolutely nothing. 

"The personal husband/wife conversations we have are often stopped abruptly because we can’t discuss ANYONE in our ward. When he comes home from meetings with ward members, all I can ask is, ‘How did your visits go?’ He replies with a, ‘Good,” or, ‘Really well,’ and then the conversation ends. Though he is quiet,  I can clearly see the burdens he carries and how he struggles to know how to help those he meets with. 


"I don’t want to come across as ‘poor me—my husband is the bishop’ because I feel completely the opposite. What I really want to say is that a bishop’s wife is grateful her husband can serve the ward in this way (let’s be honest, he wouldn’t be called to serve as bishop if his wife didn’t support him). I love and support the ward members and want to be involved. The ward needs to trust that even though I may know where he is, I have no idea what’s being said, who he’s meeting with, or why.  And although I know nothing, I have been given the merciful gift of genuine love for each member of the ward.